hopperbach


Saturday, May 10, 2008

Obama's 57 states of confusion

Barack Obama's campaign staff has an interesting dilemma -- how do we get our candidate to talk to the press without actually using words? The LA Times blog, Top of the Ticket brings us a rather Quayle-worthy moment from the Democratic Presidential candidate:

"It is wonderful to be back in Oregon," Obama said. "Over the last 15 months, we’ve traveled to every corner of the United States. I’ve now been in 57 states? I think one left to go. Alaska and Hawaii, I was not allowed to go to even though I really wanted to visit, but my staff would not justify it."


Later, Obama's aides watched in horror as the unthinkable happened -- their candidate opened his mouth again:

At a later stop Obama was talking with reporters and expressed concern he'd also mis-stated the number of potential cyclone victims in Burma. He said, ""I hope I said 100,000 people the first time instead of 100 million. I understand I said there were 57 states today. It's a sign that my numeracy is getting a little, uh." At that point, an aide cut him off and ushered journalists out. Before he could mis-speak again?

Campaign fatigue? Mmmmmm.... maybe. Amiable wabbit that I am, I'm not even going to ride him too hard... this time. I'll leave that to the other bloggers. More interesting to me is the fact that the media-at-large is virtually ignoring this gaffe. You'll be hard-pressed to find it anywhere outside the blogosphere. Can you imagine what would have happened if George Bush had made the same comments back in the 2000 campaign. Think the MSM would have given him the same pass? Nope. They would have dogged him until it actually became a campaign issue and Leno would have gathered a week's worth of material out of it.

But what about the future? Can we can look forward to more Obamisms in coming months? As the Golden Boy himself would say, "Yes we can."

Labels: , , , ,