hopperbach


Friday, August 12, 2005

Someone saw my minutes... I feel so cheap

A security flaw recently discovered in the Verizon customer service website allowed users to peek at the calling data of other users.

Verizon Wireless customers who signed up for online billing services were able to peek at some details of others' accounts due to a Web site programming error that was caught by a customer and fixed this week, a company spokesman said Thursday.

The flaw allowed customers who punched in another user's phone number to see how many airtime minutes that person had used, as well as the number of free minutes they had remaining for the month, spokesman Tom Pica said. Snoopers could also learn what cell phone model a customer used.



I'm trying to figure out why I should care about this. I'm not annoyed or anything -- just indifferent. I guess the fact that it involves a communications giant makes it a little juicy. But no bank-account numbers were involved nor was there anything about this data that would make me feel violated if prying eyes fell upon it.

I thought if I blogged about it, the significance of it all would come bubbling to the surface. But... no bubbles. Oh well, I'll just do like Drudge always does to give his stories more drama:

Developing...

Technorati Tags: , ,